Meet the 10 most promising startups selected to pitch at Seedstars Gaborone 2017
On November 3rd, 10 of Botswana's most promising seed stage startups will compete to represent the country at the Regional and Global Seedstars Summits, and to win up to USD 1 million in equity investments and other prizes.
Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes has brought its pre-selection rounds to an end and selected 10 promising tech startups to pitch at the Seedstars Gaborone pitching event on November 3rd at 4 pm at the University of Botswana Stadium, VIP lounge.
The top startups selected to advance to the pitching event are:
1. Indie Studios Africa : a social ecommerce consultancy Service Provider addressing the needs of the unbanked in emerging markets
2. Jobcard : a secure online recruitment application built for businesses and job seeker
3. Keakopa Explore: an advertising company that provides online business listing through a web portal.
4. Leintel Codemasters Holdings: a group of computer science undergraduates with sharpened expertise in computer programming on a mission to curb unemployment in Africa.
5. Lunchbox: an online marketplace for cooked lunch. It is a network of local restaurants, cooks chefs, food lovers and consumers.
6. Medmall Africa: a solution to connect doctors and patients through mobile and web application
7. Optimum Q : a platform to bridge students & tutors by providing an online platform for tutors to upload quality and affordable content for easy access by students.
8. Plaasio pty ltd : disruptive Farmers Management on the blockchain
9. StudentPark : a platform where students get accurate information from relevant stake holders
10. YAPILI: a peer-to-peer web platform and Android App offering new opportunities for many Africans to connect to doctors for health advice.
Beyond the local event, Seedstars World is working very closely with Enel Green Power to source the most innovative business models in the energy sectors and ones that are fostering socio-economic development in rural villages in Africa. Up to 5 best startups in this sector will be invited for an exclusive RES4Africa networking event and compete for an Africa Energy Prize which consists of a financial contribution and a three-month acceleration programme for a total value of up to $50,000.
The event was made possible thanks to the support provided by our main partner Stanbic Bank Botswana, our local ambassador Udugu Botswana, our regional partners Orange, Enel Green Power, Merck, VC4A and Microsoft 4Afrika and our local supporters Botswana Innovation Hub.
The Members of the public are encouraged to come join the fun and will be treated to the 10 startup pitches. Registrations for the event can be made on the Seedstars Website: https://www.seedstarsworld.com/event/SSW-Gaborone-17